- After wearing the first bandage for the recommended time from your artist, you will have to clean the tattoo and change the bandage. Or you will be switching to manually cleaning and applying a thin layer of ointment or lotion.
- When applying a second bandage to the tattoo you will need to make sure the tattoo is clean first. We recommend taking the bandage off in the shower, if you have a medium to large bandage on you. Once the bandage is off, clean the tattoo with soap and water. From there you will pat the tattoo dry with a clean towel or paper towel. Then allow the tattoo to air dry for a couple of minutes from there. If there is any moisture on the skin, the new bandage will not stick to you.
- Remove the white paper side of bandage to apply the second wrap. I start with one side of the bandage, and press that to the skin. From there you will move your finger across the rest of the bandage, as if you were applying a screen protector to a cell phone. Once the bandage is on the skin you will look for the orange break away arrows on top of the bandage. You will push down on both sides of the arrows and then pull apart. This will separate the top layer and allow you to take it off.
- Wear the second bandage for anywhere from 2 to 5 days.
- If your skin is sensitive to the adhesive on the bandage, then we do recommend taking the bandage off and manually washing and applying ointment to it.
Manually Cleaning Instructions
- If you are manually cleaning the tattoo, we recommend washing it three times daily and applying a thin layer of ointment or lotion to the tattoo after you wash it.
- You can use aquaphor, a & d ointment, or any unscented lotion to care for the tattoo. You want the tattoo to still be able to breathe, so don’t apply so much ointment to where it is heavily layered into the tattoo.
- You will repeat this for anywhere between a single week up to two weeks, depending on how much trauma was done to the skin during the procedure.
- You will know when it’s time to stop cleaning, when all of the scabs have fallen off the skin.
Tips For Healing
- If you are manually caring for the tattoo, please refrain from touching it. You are just putting dirt and bacteria into the healing wound.
- Please refrain from picking the scabs off of it as it heals. That is a great way to pull the color out.
- Do not go swimming, sit in a hot tub or sauna, before the the tattoo is all the way healed.
- Try to refrain from getting very sweaty as the tattoo heals. Yes that means stay out of the gym!